First of all I want to say Happy New Year! I can’t believe it is 2015…where has the time gone? I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years. My family had a very nice relaxing Christmas and New Years! For Christmas Eve we decided to visit with all of our family! We had breakfast with my mother in law, visited with my sister in-laws in the afternoon, had dinner with my entire family, followed by a wonderful Christmas eve service at our church. The reason we love seeing all of our family on Christmas eve is because we are already all dressed up for church in the evening. Also our kids love nothing more than spending Christmas at home in their p.j.’s. So now we call it our “Annual Christmas in P.J’s Day”! New Years Eve wasn’t much different except for the fact we were not in our p.j’s. We played board games, watched movies and tried to stay up till the new year, but the only one who made it was our daughter. She had to wake us all up to let us know it was New Years.
Now that we are almost a full week into the New Year, it’s a great time to think and plan how you want to make things different. For me there are numerous things I want to do differently this year and one thing that helps me is making a list of goals I would like to achieve. Some are business goals, some are personal and some are family. It is so important to not just make goals in one area because I firmly believe everything works together. If one thing is out of line it can affect other areas in my life. Below I made a list of goals that are most important. I don’t have a ton of goals for the fact I personally like to focus on less which helps me reach those most important goals in my life.
Personal Goals ~
1. Spending more time with God by waking up each morning in prayer and a daily devotional. So many times I say I am going to do this, but there are so many days where I get distracted and I can’t get in this time in the morning. I do notice a huge difference in my days when I do spend time in prayer and devotion first. It sets my day in a positive and uplifting way!
2. Get healthy once and for all!! I have always been a healthy eater, but I know to get healthy and lose the weight I need to I have to change more! I need to stay completely away from sugars and starch. This has not always been easy as I love my occasional dark chocolate and Star Bucks Mocha. My goal is to cleanse my body by eating whole foods…pretty much green veggies, healthy protein and some fruits. I know when I do this I can drop the pounds. I actually lost 10 pounds in November, but with going to Disneyland and Christmas I gained some back. So now I need to get serious again. I also need to start exercising again…I definitely need this to boost my metabolism. Lastly I am taking new enzymes and essential oils by Young Living Oils to help aid in my weight loss
Family Goals ~
1. This is an ongoing goal, but it’s just to be the best wife and mom God created me to be. I want to be able to be a supportive loving wife to my husband, whether it’s getting up a little earlier each morning to make his lunches or taking more time in my week to help him in his business. For our children I want to be an example to them, which means showing more love and being positive! Some days get crazy between homeschooling and running two businesses. I sometimes fail at being a light, showing unconditional love and being positive throughout my day. This is something I have already been implementing this past year and I notice a huge difference!
2. Reevaluate our homeschool schedule and the way I am teaching our kids. For so long we used workbooks for homeschooling and I notice they are not learning at their full potential. I am also not part of any programs this year so I am doing everything on my own while using different books. I feel like I am all over the place. I did quite a bit of research and we are changing from workbooks to a complete cd rom curriculum. The nice thing with this curriculum is it’s hands on and so much more exciting for the kids then having their noses stuck in a text-book all day. Another thing I love about this new program is it comes with a complete schedule, attendance and grading system. I am so excited for this as I know this will streamline our homeschool. Lastly I just want to be more encouraging as their teacher. Sometimes it is hard to be encouraging when you are also the parent and they are misbehaving. One thing I heard that really continues to play out in my mind is that God created greatness in all of us and it’s up to us to live the life God has called for us. Lately instead of getting upset I remind our kids (teenagers) of this instead! Lastly I want to prepare our kids the rest of this school year and summer so they can attend the homeschool program at a local Christian High School starting their freshman year.
Business Goals ~
1. Schedule more portrait sessions and weddings! Last year I took a break to refocus, rebrand and launch my new website and blog. Now that both my website and blog are done, I can now showcase my work in the way I have always wanted to. I am so excited about this!!!
2. Get more involved in the community I live in by meeting new vendors, new businesses and new clients. I also would love to give back to my community by photographing for some non-profit events. I actually have a fun non-profit photo shoot I am planning this spring to support and bring awareness to teen girls. I can’t give away too much on this as it will be a fun surprise
3. Find a new and great system for staying organized in both my husband’s and my business. I want to have a better schedule to help me stay on track. I would like to have a weekly scheduled time for marketing, blogging, updating content, photos sessions, editing and staying in contact with our clients. I know I can work more efficiently with a better system!!!
4. Help out and mentor new photographers in my community. I am so grateful and blessed to have learned so much from other photographers and I would love to pay it forward by sharing everything I have learned and offering coaching sessions. One way I will share is my new category on my blog called “For Photographers” , here I will be sharing all I have learned in the photography industry.
5. Last but not least, I want to serve my clients with excellence by giving each of them an experience they will remember and want to recommend to their friends. I love working with new clients because by the time I am done photographing a session, I walk away with a new friend! I want my clients to know that I truly care and am so grateful they chose me to capture the special moments in their life. I want my clients to be at ease around me and enjoy the time I am photographing them. By doing this I am able to capture images that are genuine and full of life!
So there you have it…my 2015 goals! I am sure as I move forward in the months to come…goals can change and new goals can come along. All I can do is try my best and if I fail I will make sure to learn so when I try again I can succeed with God’s help!!
Happy New Years from our family to yours!!!
and a warm thank you to all those I had the opportunity to photograph in 2014! I am so grateful for each and every one of you!!!